I’m not exactly sure how it got there, but I found a bag of Thai Sweet Rice in the pantry. Probably from one of my Asian store visits when I threw everything in arm’s reach into our cart.
Anyway, I figured I’d make some Thai Sweet Rice Dessert (Khao Niaow Ma Muang) which I’ve ordered at a Thai restaurant before… omigosh, the stuff is so yummy!
The Thai sweet rice is usually steamed, but it can also be prepared in the rice cooker! I don’t have a steamer anyway, so this makes life all that much easier for me!
Thai Mango Sweet Rice Dessert (Khao Niaow Ma Muang)
- 2 cups Thai sweet rice also called "sticky" or "glutinous" rice
- 5 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 ripe mangoes cut into bite-size pieces
- Place 2 cups sweet rice in your rice cooker. Add 2 cups water and stir and let the sweet rice soak for at least 40 minutes (or up to 4 hours).
- Do not drain the rice. Add 1/2 cup remaining water, 1 can coconut milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 5 Tbsp. brown sugar. Stir this into the rice. Turn on your rice cooker.
- When your rice cooker switches off (after 15-20 minutes), let the rice sit at least for 10 minutes.
- I just scooped the rice into a bowl and topped with slices of mango!
I’m a single mom of a premed, certified life strategist, religion teacher, best selling author, and advocate for victims of narcissistic abuse. If it’s yummy, quick, healthy, easy, yummy, and yummy… believe me, I’m all over it!
Let me know if you’ve tried my recipes by tagging @girlplusfoodlv on Instagram so I can celebrate with you!