I first tried French Onion Fondue at a restaurant we recently checked out, and holy moly, I could’ve had that as my entire meal! Deliciousness! We looove French Onion Soup, so I have no idea why I didn’t think of this myself! Thus began my mini-life-mission to be able to make it at home whenever we wanted!
Aaaand… Mission accomplished! #wootwoot!
Mmmm… Crusty slices of French bread dipped in hot, melty cheese and caramelized onions… you will LOOOVE this French Onion Fondue!
It’s so simple to make… just cook the onions, then cook everything else together! Quick and easy… and sooooo yummmeh!!!
- 1/4 c unsalted butter
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter for sauteing onions
- 2 large onions diced
- 1/2 pound 8oz Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 pound 8oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tbsps flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1/2 tbsp concentrated beef broth
- 1/2 tbsp garlic pepper
- French bread toasted and sliced (or 1" cubed) for serving
- Melt 2 tbsps butter in medium-size sauté pan over medium heat.
- Sauté onions until brown and caramelized, about 15–20 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Toss Swiss & Gruyere the cheese with flour in mixing bowl until evenly coated.
- Set aside.
- Combine beef broth, cooking sherry, and concentrated beef broth in a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat and bring to a slight simmer.
- Whisk the cheese into the liquid in four or five batches. Wait for the cheese to melt before adding next batch of cheese. Don't let the mixture come to a boil.
- When final batch has melted completely, remove pot from heat and stir in caramelized onions and garlic pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a serving bowl or fondue pot
- Serve with French bread (or whatever else you want to use.. potatoes, cauliflower, asparagus...)
I’m a single mom of a premed, certified trauma-informed master life coach, religion teacher, best selling author, and advocate for victims of narcissistic abuse. If it’s yummy, quick, healthy, easy, yummy, and yummy… believe me, I’m all over it!
Let me know if you’ve tried my recipes by tagging @girlplusfoodlv on Instagram so I can celebrate with you!