I was looking through my pantry and found a package of noodles, similar to this:
My mom uses these noodles when making her Filipino Chicken Sotanghon noodle soup (which I’m really not a fan of. I know, I know, I’m half Pinay and I can’t even appreciate my peep’s comfort food…).
Anyway, I’ve never cooked them myself, but thought it would be a lovely idea (yes, I said “lovely”) to make a huge pot of Vietnamese beef noodle soup…
It was pretty darn delicious, if I say so myself. You don’t have to take my word for it… both my son and dad absolutely loved it… and they’re both very trustworthy people! 😉
Give it a shot… it’s warm and comforting… your tummy and your taste buds will thank you immensely for it!
- 1/2 lb eye of round beef steak sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 3 1/2 tsp Asian fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 cups beef broth
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger grated
- 8 to 10 oz bean thread vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
Marinate the beef
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the beef, 1 tbs oil, 1 1/2 tsp fish sauce and salt. Seal bag and mush it around with your hands to distribute the marinade evenly. Set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Cook the noodles
- Over medium high heat, combine the broth, ginger, and the remaining 2 tsp. fish sauce in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add noodles and cook just until tender, according to the package instructions. Drain, rinse under running cold water and divide evenly to 4 bowls.
- Add remaining 1 tbs oil into pan over high heat. Add beef and cook until seared on both sides, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Strain the broth, return to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add basil and beef and cook for about 3 minutes. Ladle over the noodles and serve hot!
I’m a single mom of a premed, certified life strategist, religion teacher, best selling author, and advocate for victims of narcissistic abuse. If it’s yummy, quick, healthy, easy, yummy, and yummy… believe me, I’m all over it!
Let me know if you’ve tried my recipes by tagging @girlplusfoodlv on Instagram so I can celebrate with you!