Alright, this was my first try in making home-made onion rings.
I first experimented with instant mashed potato flakes (for the bread crumbs), and did not like it one bit… I kept hearing good things about it (I think I saw it on Food Network), so, I’ll probably give it another try another time.
Then, I used panko bread crumbs (my favorite) and oh, wow…
ta-daaaa! crispy, crunchy, juicy… mmmmm!
Panko Breaded Onion Rings
- 1 large onion cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 365° F
- Separate onion slices into rings and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour and salt.
- Dip onion slices into flour mixture until they are all coated and set aside.
- Whisk egg and milk into flour mixture using a fork. Dip floured rings into batter to coat, then place on separate plate.
- Spread bread crumbs in shallow dish. Place rings one at a time into crumbs and coat completely.
- Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
- Season to taste!
Enjoy the sweet, crunchy, deliciousness!