Loco moco is a dish featured in contemporary Hawaiian cuisine. There are many variations, but the traditional loco moco consists of white rice, topped with a hamburger, a fried egg, and brown gravy.
I have no idea why it’s taken me so long to try this dish, but OMG… thanks to DoorDash food delivery, I finally did, and I’m so in love!
The loco moco reminds me of the Japanese “hambagu” – one of my favorite dishes from childhood. I thin the key difference is, the hambagu patty is served with sauce made of ketchup and Tonkatsu sauce instead of gravy.
So like everything else I fall in love with, I wanted to learn how to make it myself, so I can customize it exactly how I want, and have it whenever I want!
- 4 cups white rice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup sweet yellow onions diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cremini mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- cooking oil
- 4 eggs
- Mix ground beef, onions, and salt & pepper in large mixing bowl. Form 4 medium patties and set aside.
- Set large pan on high heat. Drizzle cooking oil and set patties in pan. Cover pan with a lid to seal in moisture. Cook until well browned on first side, (3 - 4 mins)
- Remove lid, flip over patties, replace lid and continue cooking until finished, Remove burgers and keep warm.
- Add butter to pan with the drippings. (Use same pan burgers were cooked in)
- Saute mushrooms and onions until golden brown (5 minutes)
- Add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water to make a paste. Slowly add into gravy, stirring until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm until ready for use.
- Scoop cooked rice on plate, place 2 burgers on top, then eggs and pour gravy. Serve with sliced red onions and avocado!
I’m a single mom of a premed, certified trauma-informed master life coach, religion teacher, best selling author, and advocate for victims of narcissistic abuse. If it’s yummy, quick, healthy, easy, yummy, and yummy… believe me, I’m all over it!
Let me know if you’ve tried my recipes by tagging @girlplusfoodlv on Instagram so I can celebrate with you!