So, I’m a Japan chick suffering from a terrible case of homesickness… Never mind that I only lived there for the first 7 years of my life… I’ll forever be an anime baby at heart. And of course, of all the things I miss, I long for Japanese food most of all.
One of my favorite foods from my childhood in Japan is the Corn Cream Soup with butter croutons… and I’ve been picking up boxes of these instant ones (they’re actually not too bad… and includes the croutons!) from the local Japanese store where you just add hot water and serve…
So imagine my excitement when I found several Japanese Corn Cream Soup recipes to experiment with! And after one delicious trial & error after another, I finally found a recipe that made my taste buds very very happy!
- 3 tblsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 can (14.75 oz) Cream Style Sweet Corn
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Over low heat, slowly stir in flour.
- Add half the chicken stock. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add corn.
- Add the rest of the chicken stock, bring to boil and simmer for approx. 15 mins.
- Add milk and salt and heat through.